Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's Alessa, 3 hours later.

1.)What have you been doing post-graduation (art-wise or life-wise) and what are your plans for the next few months?

Well, I looked for art-related jobs (graphic design, art dept intern, art colleges, etc), and I'm still searching, but in the meantime I'm doing retail. I work at a hole-in-the-wall children's clothing/toy store called 'Kids Only'. On the downside, it's minimum wage, but on the upside, it's on Haight St, a very famous and graffitied shopping street in the heart of San Francisco. There are tons and tons of awesome restaurants there and lots of hobos and potheads to entertain the masses. So now I just want to do my own artwork in my free time, maybe do some freelance, mostly just building a bigger and better portfolio. Doing more music videos for sure!


2.)Where have you moved to (be specific: ex."hampden") ? Are you happy/excited/frustrated/ disappointed by your new location? Is there something about this new place you wanna advertise, or warn us about? (Ex. great Tex-Mex food, bad public transportation)

I'm in San Francisco and I love it. Right now, it's not the best spot. I'm about a half hour from the cool downtown areas, but still technically in the city. I'm sharing a 2-story townhouse with a couple of San Francisco State students, very nice people. I was kind of afraid to move in with complete strangers, but I knew we had some things in common and it's been really great so far. As of now, though, I'm the oldest one in the house, so we can't go to any bars. All in all, this city is pretty nice. There are a lot of creperies. It's surprising how many Europeans there are here. I hear a lot of British and Irish accents, as well as French and Italian. And of course tons of Spanish. The public transportation is one of the best systems I've seen anywhere, the weather is beautiful if you don't mind a little fog, and people will stop you on the street to tell you about their troubled childhoods. No joke, this has happened more than once. I should also mention that I drove out here on an awesome road trip! You can see pictures of the journey here
.

3.)Is there something you have created since you graduated you would like to share? (it doesn't have to be an illustration)

I've been doing some sketching and just-for-fun illustrations, but I don't have my scanner here yet. Very soon I will start working on a music video for a band called Princeton. My friend Paul is actually living with them a house in LA, so I met them when I visited/helped him move.

4.)Which specific color have you been using/thinking about the most lately?

PINK! I don't know why, but I've been obsessed with pink lately. Any shade of it, as long as it's bright. At the moment, I'm into baby pink. Recently I decided that when I have my own place, I will have a completely pink kitchen. The dishes, the cabinets, the walls, the tile, everything. I'm really excited about it.

5.)Tell us something about you that has changed since we last met.

I got my first tattoo this summer. I plan to get more. The other day it was brought to my attention that the illustration I did for the Beasts book was put on the Fantagraphics blog. I think that's cause for celebration.

4 comments:

Judith Uzcategui said...

wow, alessa, wow! a music video deal, already? that's very exciting.
Almost as exciting as your totally pink kitchen!Can't wait to see it...

Jess Neil said...

http://bigchillfridge.com/site/fridges

I do believe the 'pink lemonade' will be your fridge of choice for your dream kitchen

bagel han said...

Hey! Very nice to see that a very cool person has made it out to my favorite coast and my favorite city. Don't linger on the Golden Gate Bridge too much.. someone might think you're contemplating suicide! Have you seen that documentary (The Bridge)? Very cool, but irks me.
Anyway...
One of my plans was to move out there myself and hang around my cousin who unfortunately passed away. I would probably be living in Cali by now if she was still alive. BUT it's more promising now that I know that a friend of mine is living out there :) You should definitely keep us posted on your life in Cali!

Alessa K said...

Bagel! So sorry to hear about your cousin. My deep condolences. But I hope you come back out here someday. I have a feeling I'll be here for a while. If you do, be sure to drop me a line!