Saturday, September 6, 2008

Reporting in

1. What have you been doing post-grad and what are plans:

I've completed my internship (actually it wasn't an internship as I was not doing it for college credit; my title was "contracted artist.") at Firaxis games in Hunt Valley, and a couple weeks back I got offered and accepted a full time position as a Concept Artist which has been nothing but awesome, as its been my dream job since high school. Half the time it doesn't even feel like I'm 'at work' because of the subject and the hours, which aren't nearly as long as what I pulled last year. I'm working alongside some non-08 MICA alums you might know, like Chris Sulzbach, Brian Mahoney, Steve Egrie, and I'm working particularly close with Piero Macgowan, as he's another concept artist on the unannounced project we're working on.  

The only drawback I can see with the job, is the fact that I can't put any of the work I do online because the project is secret. This really irks me because the stuff I've been doing of late completely blows the stuff I did last year out of the water, and I'd like to put it up in place of some less interesting stuff on the website.  

No specific plans in the next couple months aside from learning and getting better and better. I've got a side project I'm workin on but its going to be a while before I'm comfortable enough with it to put it online.

2. Where have you moved?
I moved to the top of a hill in Mt. Washington, about a 10 minute walk from the lightrail, and its hard to imagine that you're still inside the city limits.  I look out my window and I see trees, at night instead of gunshots and sirens and helicopters and yelling I hear cicadias, crickets. The sky isn't as orange out here either, and the air is fresh like the country. I don't feel like I'm about to get mugged when I walk home at night, and i've found a patch of woods along a river to hike when i'm bored. A Big backyard, friendly neighbors, spacious apartment; definitely a big step in the right direction from my old tiny bolton hill affair. I had a hell of a time finding a place but I'm thankful I put in the effort.  Mt. Washington is wonderful, even though I have to lightrail to get something other than wholefoods. 

3. Something you've created you'd like to share?
 Nothing too interesting, I've been too busy either working to get fulltime, or moving into my new apartment and getting the roommate situation figured out / unpacking all my shit, and none of my bonsai trees are anywhere near presenting (give me 2 more years)

4. Which specific color have you been using/thinking about
 What I've been learning recently is to use every single color to some degree in every piece. Local colors are the devil! Though if I were forced to choose I'd have to say Purple/Violet. 

5. Tell us something about you that has changed
 I ride a bike to get around now. s'Faster than walking. 

_Bryce

No comments: